CAMERA LOVE
Disclaimer: I just got into the DSLR stuff late last year, and every single thing here has been purchased since then, possibly because I have more money than sense. I am just finishing my first photography class, through City Parks and Rec of all places, so I am in no way an expert on anything photography related. Take my advice and recommendations at your own risk. PS I have another class starting next week about using PhotoShop for RAW photography and another covering Portrait Photography in April. Perhaps I'll update this after I learn more.
This is the inclusive list as of today of everything I use. My advice is if you are interested in expanding to DSLR photography, figure out what is right for you and what feels good in your hands as far as a camera body, while sticking to Canon or Nikon. But note that you'll need to make up your mind as to which one at the start of this obsession, er, hobby. You're in it for the long haul once you pick one or the other, as they are not compatible to switch between the two and this is an expensive hobby and you won't want to start from scratch once you're in. Canon and Nikon are both good, but from talking to people, the differences in photo quality between the two is small, so pick the one that feels best in your hands. From my person observations, all of the Nikon DSLR users I know are men, which isn't surprising, as Nikons are physically bigger cameras. And that doesn't mean that all of the women DSLR users I know are women, because they're not. The men and women are split 50/50 with Canons, which means most of the DSLR users I know are using Canons, as am I.
So here is the list:
Camera Body: Canon Rebel DSLR 500D (T1i). Great camera. It has been called the top camera for an amateur photographer and a professional photographer's back-up camera. Until February 15th, it was the top non-full frame (professional) camera in Canon's stable, but they have just released the 550D (T2i) after added a few features to the 500D (T1i). The differences are negligible -- nice to have but not revolutionary -- as the main is the expandable ISO, which is available through the extended menu of the 500D but is on the ISO dial on the 550D, and a little faster in its High-Definition video (which both have, but the 500D has 1080 at 20fps or 720 at 30fps (frames per second) where the 550D shoots 1080 at 30fps, which is great if you do a lot of videos as well as still frames. The other improvement is the 550D has 18.0 MP vs. the 500D's 15.1 but at that many MPs, it's not a huge difference.
Battery Grip: I have just purchased (but have not used yet) the Canon BG-E5 Battery Grip. This is a device that holds two batteries (see entry for Batteries, below) for when you will be taking LOTS of pictures and also it lets you change from Landscape mode to Portrait (turning the camera sideways) and has the shutter release button and settings for aperture, shutter speed, etc., right on it (meaning you have two buttons for taking the picture, one in each direction, so you don't have to curl you hand around the camera to take a picture so it makes it easier to shoot vertically). I can't wait to use this, as it will make it much easier for me to hold and shoot in portrait mode and also I won't have to take time out to change batteries like I did last weekend at Carnaval, as I took about 2,000 pictures and had to stop in the middle of Flam Chen's performance to change my battery. It also has a sleeve so you can use AA batteries in a pinch if you run out of battery power for two batteries.
It looks like this when attached to the camera:
Batteries: The camera will determine your battery, and this uses a Canon LP-E5 and I have a spare, which is highly recommended (one came with the camera). Note that if you go with an off-brand instead of Canon, you will void your warranty, so I think it's best to go with Canon. Mine are grayer than the photo below appears. The recharger comes with the camera as well, at least in the kit version.Lenses: This is where the money is, so to speak. Your lenses will move with you if you move up to a professional camera, and they will have the biggest impact on your photos. Chose the lenses that are right for you and do your homework, as there are plenty of places with good reviews. Figure out what kind of pictures you take most (macro, portrait, nature, sports, etc) and pick accordingly. This is what I have as of today, in order of when I acquired it.
- Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - This is the kit lens that comes with the camera unless you buy the camera body only. It's okay (not at all bad, but not great), and serves as a general all-purpose "walk around" lens. An entry-level lens. The IS means it has image stabilization that helps you go up or down an f-stop or two and still stay in focus because it reduces camera shake.
- Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS - This is a telephoto lens with a good reach. Another entry-level lens. Also with Image Stabilization (IS).
- Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II - This is a prime (or fixed) lens, which means the focal length doesn't zoom at all. If you want to get a closer shot, you have to move because the lens doesn't. It's called the "nifty fifty" both for its great price (at about $100, it's known in the industry for the best bang for your buck) and because with its small aperture, it takes great portrait shots. I also use this in conjunction with an extension tube (see below) for macro (in reality, close-up) shots. My last entry-level lens, but a surprisingly good lens for the money.
- Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5=5.6 IS USM - This is my first non-entry-level lens, and my first USM. I've just purchased it but haven't used it yet. USM means that it has an Ultra Sonic Motor, which is a very quiet, precise focusing motor. I love what I know about this this lens, the photos I've seen with it, and it makes a great walk-around lens that will stay on my camera at most times. It was very pricey (for me) and also makes me afraid that I will now desire my first "L" series (luxury) lens, which takes us out of the stratosphere as far as price. But hey, a girl can dream!
- Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Auto Focus Lens. Anyone reading this can tell that I love macro photography, and this is my first real macro lens. I can't wait for it to arrive so I can play with it. I literally have dreamt that I was taking macro photos for two nights in a row.
- Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Wide-Angle Telephoto Zoom Lens with Case and Hood. This will be is my first "L" series lens, L standing for luxury. These are what the pros use, and are identifiable by their enviable red band. When I see red, I turn green -- with envy. This is was next on my list. All of the lenses I would purchase from here on out would most likely be L series. And of note, the L series come with both a lens case and a hood.
When you get into purchasing DSLR lenses, you may come across terms like "gray market" or "white box." I was going to write an explanation of this but instead I'll just tell you to Google "gray market" and "white box" lenses to explaine the difference. I am always weary and leery of anything besides Canon USA, and I keep my boxes for the event that I'll want to sell them one day, so I don't buy the white boxes or gray market lenses either, but I guess it's the same product.
Filters: I use three SunPak UV filters and one Canon UV Filter. If you don't know this already, you should use filters to protect your lenses, which are really expensive and filters are really cheap. It can keep them from getting scratched or broken, as I'd much rather accidentally scratch my $15 filter than my $500 lens. If you don't have a filter on your camera, get one today. My lenses are different sizes, so I have three different-sized filters for them. As for the SunPak, I bought them because that's what the store that I was shopping in carried, and the Canon because I bought it online at the same time that I bought the lens. I think there are better filters out there (at least more pricey) and filters that serve different purposes (softening fantasy filters, florescent light balance filters, red, green and yellow filters, etc.), but for now I claim ignorance as to their uses and quality differences. If you know more, please feel free to email me and educate me, as I guess I need to learn about this eventually.
- Canon 52mm UV Filter for the 50mm prime lens:
- SunPak 58mm UV Filter for the 8-55mm and the 55-250mm lenses:
- SunPak 72mm UV Filter for the 28-135 lens:
- Sunpak 77mm Coated Glass UV Filter for the 24-70mm lens and the 100mm macro lens.
Lens Hoods: I'm just starting to get into using these. Two of mine are just circular and one is petal-shaped (the one for my most expensive lens). They are designed to block out unwanted light from near the photographer so you get the light near the subject. I don't even have one (yet) for my 55-250 telephoto lens, but I imagine I will get one soon. They're reasonably cheap (about $25) but for what they are (a piece of plastic) they are expensive. They attach right on to the end of your lens and are reversible for storing. They also help protect the lens in case you drop it, so I guess it's useful as an added layer of protection, taking the impact (hopefully) as long as you drop it hood-side first! They're lens specific so far for me, though as I get more lenses one may be able to be used on another lens (I hope). The small one for the 50mm prime lens also has a ring attachment that goes under the filter. There are many off-brands available, but I always buy Canon, just because I figure the $5 or $10 savings isn't worth it because, as I feel, Canon designed the lens, so I may as well go with the hood that they designed to go with it. It could be a case of a fool and their money, but I don't know. If you have any experience with this, feel free to share.
- Canon Lens Hood ES-62 with 62 Hood Adapter for the Canon 50mm f/1.8 II prime lens.
- Canon Lens Hood EW-60C for the 18-55mm f/4 - 5.6 IS lens.
- Canon Lens Hood ET-60 (I don't yet have this one, Edited because I bought this one at a camera fair. It's not a Canon, but it was only $8 and doesn't seem to be much different the Canon. It is also for the Canon 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 lens.
- Canon Lens Hood EW-78B-II for the Canon 28-135mm lens.
- Canon Lens Hood ET-73 for the Canon 100 mm f/2.8L IS USM macro lens. Since it's an L-series, it comes with the lens, along with a pouch.
- Canon Lens Hood EW-83F: This comes with the 24-70mm L-series lens. All of the L-series lenses come with hoods and lens cases.
- Canon LP 1219 Soft Lens Pouch: Again, comes with the swanky L-series lenses. Cool.
Extension Tube: I use the Canon Extension Tube EF-12 II. This can be added on to some lenses to create super close-up shots. True macro lenses are really expensive, and this does the trick nicely without having to shell out for a true macro lens. Mine can be used with my 18-55mm lens and my 50mm lens. What it does is essentially move the lens farther away from the camera. It's a pretty precise instrument, and cost about $85. It also comes in a 25mm size, but I haven't gotten that one yet. Off-brand companies seem to have more sizes available, and they are stackable as well.
External Flash: These can be used on the camera (it attaches via a "hot shoe" and keeps the pop-up from flashing or in the case of the bigger one here, can be used off camera with a cord. Yes, I said I wouldn't move up until I understood lighting more, but I saw a smoking deal on Craig's List for what was pretty much a brand new flash and some umbrellas, umbrella stands and studio lights so I bought it. I'll post more about the umbrellas, stands and lights soon, but for now, I will share this, my new flash, a Canon Speedlite 430ExII. It's awesome!
- My first flash was the Canon Speedlite 270EX, which is the second cheapest of the Canon external flashes. I am totally ignorant as to the science and art of lighting, so I imagine I will move up when I learn this stuff, which is pretty far down the road.
Remote Control: I have the Canon RC-1 Wireless Remote Controller. Good for any kind of shot where you want to be in it so you don't have to use the self-time and run into the shot. Has a good range and is cheap, and also attaches to the camera strap so it's easy to keep handy and not lose. It's teeny - about 2" long and half and inch wide.
Shutter Release Cord: I have the Canon RS-60 E3 Remote Switch. This differs from the one above because the one above is only used when you are in front of the camera and want to be in the picture. This one is for when you can't risk camera shake when using a tripod to fire the shutter -- you avoid physical contact with the camera that could disrupt the photo such as with long exposures, bulb shots and HDR, where any camera movement can ruin the shot.
Tripod: The instructor of my photography class started harping about tripods on Day 1, and I internally rolled my eyes and dismissed her praises of using a tripod to improve your photos. Okay, I now wave the white flag and know that she is right. I'm using the Slik Pro 700DX AMT-Titanium Alloy Tripod with Three-Way Pan Head. Note that Adorama has the wrong picture and it actually looks like the one below. I would prefer a ball head to the pan head that I have, but again, ball heads are above my need and skill level right now, so I may replace the head somewhere down the road, as this is the type of tripod with a detachable head. I also got a tripod that is very tall at 74.8" maximum for high shots and not too short (and so I don't have to bend over to look through it, which gets tedious when taking lots of photos) and I especially picked one that is capable of handling a heavy camera and lens. This is super heavy-duty, capable of handling about 15 pounds of equipment, so I'm in good shape for expanding into heavier flashes and lenses. Lenses can be quite heavy, so you want to insure that your tripod doesn't topple over and destroy what you've spend way too much money on to begin with! It comes with a Slik carry bag as well. The photo below is deceptive; this tripod is huge. Manfrotto and Slik are two of the best names in tripods, so if you're going to get one, I'd start there. Joby Gorillapods are gaining in popularity, too, but I just can't get past how ugly they are...
Camera Bag: I'm using the LowePro Fastpack 100 in red. I love this bag. It carries everything I need (and everything listed above except for the tripod and one lens has to be carried separately or left at home, usually my 18-55mm), along with holding a few personal items, my camera and flash manuals, my wallet and best of all, is very comfortable to wear, even on one shoulder. I really love this bag and bring it with me everywhere. I didn't even pick it -- it came as a freebie when I purchased a lens, so what a stroke of luck that it works so well for me. Note: I'm contemplating moving up to a bigger one to accommodate my new gear, and the one I like also will hold my notebook computer. More soon.
Software: I'm was using PhotoShop CS4 Extended and struggling with it! I'll be taking a full class in it sometime soon, but I'm contemplating jumping to PhotoShop Elements to do more pedestrian stuff until I can work through the complicated CS4 stuff. I'm managing to work my way through with the help of some books but it's just taking waaaay too long to do what I need to do with it now when Elements may be easier to use to do what I currently want to do.
Edited to add: As you can see from the strikeout edits above, I did jump to Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 until I can get more classroom time for Photoshop CS4 Extended. It's much easier for now, but I look forward to progressing at some point in the future. But I'm glad I bought it when I did because the Academic price just went up $100, so I lucked out!
I also purchased Adobe Light Room 2 to go with it, but haven't opened it or installed it yet, so I'll update once I do, but from what I understand, they work together, as Light Room is photo storage and management. Adobe Light Room 3 is in beta right now, so you can seek that out if you're interested.
Computer: This hobby has resulted in my recently jumping ship from PC to Mac, and I purchased a MacBook Pro 13." I had it made just for me by the Apple elves with the maximum memory (upgraded to 8GB, 1066MHz, DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB), increased the hard drive from 250GB to 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400GB), etc., (whatever that means; I don't really know) in anticipation of using it for heavy-duty photo editing.
I also got an Apple Magic Mouse, since it's easier to use for precise photo editing instead of using the track pad, and I love it.
Camera Bag: I got an InCase Nylon Sleeve shoulder bag, made for MacBook Pro computers. It's black and falls off my shoulder constantly! Just like it won't stay in the right place on my shoulder, the photo won't stay in the center, either... got it!
Camera Books: Wow, I discovered that I should have ordered my books from Amazon. They are much cheaper than what I paid at Barnes and Noble, LOL! But there are so many books about this specific camera that I like to pore over them before buying. I decided on these two:
- Canon Rebel T1i/500D - From Snapshots to Great Shots by Jeff Revell - I love this book. He gives side-by-side examples of the aperture, ISO, shutter speed, focal length, etc., of his shots so you can see what settings he was on to achieve certain looks. It's really helped me figure out what to do, even when I wasn't sure exactly what it was I was doing.
- David Busch's Canon EOS Rebel T1i/500D - A Guide to Digital SLR Photography - This book works very well in conjunction with the other one, whereas this one is very technical and the other one is very functional, together they compliment one another very well. The other book has photos that demonstrate what I want to do and give me the settings to do it, and afterwards, I go to this one to figure out what it is I actually did. It was a happy accident that I selected these two out of the dozen camera-specific books I looked at. They each do many books based on many models of cameras, so if you get a different camera, you can still match up the camera-specific books by both authors.
- Photoshop CS4 Essential Skills by Mark Galer and Philip Andrews. So far this book has proved to be very incomplete and frustrating. Mind you, I've been using Adobe products for years, so I'm familiar with them and their limitations as far as ease of use. But this book has incomplete information all around. I follow the necessary steps exactly as explained and what is supposed to happen doesn't happen. I even have my husband read them to me and we go through them together and it still doesn't work. I'm frustrated and I don't know if it is Adobe or this book, but in addition to what I just stated, it skips explanations left and right. I don't think I'd buy this one again, nor do I recommend it. I may feel differently after I take a PhotoShop class, but for now, I'm not thrilled about the $40 I spent on this.
- Photoshop CS4 All-in-One For Dummies by Barbara Obermeier. I haven't used this one much yet. And that isn't for lack of desire. Whenever I look in the index for what it is that I want to do, it's just not there, or it doesn't really give good directions as to how to accomplish it. Frustrating again. Sadly, I have yet to be able to apply anything from this book to my PS usage, but I keep wanting to find the answers in it! But again, am open to being entirely wrong about this book and I will reassess my opinion after I take the PhotoShop class in the summer or fall.
Flash Drive: I love my LaCie 8GB flash drive. I think how many times my husband or I have pulled a regular pocket flash drive out of the washer or dryer, praying that it was okay, or worse, discovering that it wasn't. This one goes right on my key chain instead of my pocket and I have never lost it or washed it, and I always have it with me and know where it is at all times. And it's so cute, don't you think?
Online Storage:
- Flickr - I have a Flickr Pro account that I got by request from a mom I know. I upload (and need to upload more, as I'm really behind) and grant permission to other parents to view pictures from common events and birthday parties. I have it locked out right now, as I had to use it for work photos and until I can clear them out, though. I've had some problems storing my stuff on Flick and I find it not as easy to navigate as I'd like it to be. In particular, I had my privacy set to "friends and family only" only to discover random photos here and there on the public stream and I had to manually go through about 1,000 pictures. Anyone else reading this have that problem on Flickr?
- Picasa - I prefer Picasa to Flickr for my personal photos, though Flickr is much more popular. I like Picasa's free photo editing software, too. It's what I used when I started editing, before I got iPhoto and PhotoShop. I found it useful and easy to use. I think Picasa is going to continue to gain in popularity. I have 200GB of online storage with them, and they have a special when you purchase online memory, they give you a free Eye-Fi card (see above). Sweet!
Rechargeable Batteries: The most highly recommended rechargeable AA batteries for Canon Speedlite flashes seem to be Sanyo Eneloop NiMH Pre-Charged Rechargeable batteries. My instructor recommended these, someone here in town from a camera shop recommended these and sites that I have trusted online tested a dozen different kinds and these came out on top. They are Nickel Metal Hydride and come out of the package already charged. the NiMH also means that they hold their charge when not in use, which the older rechargeables didn't do -- they continued to lose their charge even if not in use. I haven't gotten the Eneloops yet -- I'm using Duracell NiMH simply because I bought them before I heard of these. I haven't had any problems with the Duracell at all so far and they seem to last for a long time, but if and when they wear out, will consider switching due to the reputation of the Eneloop batteries, but like I said, I've had no complaints with the Duracell batteries yet.
Online purchases: I love, love, love and highly recommend www.Adorama.com. I have placed six or seven orders with them and they are always a good price, excellent quality, no tax, lightening fast shipping and packed perfectly. Their email communications are the top as well. Every single purchase I have made from them has shipped within two or three hours of placing the order. Seriously. They give me a tracking number and the date that I will receive it that fast! The are a close competitor with the other online favorite, www.bhphotovideo.com. Both my instructor and my personal camera advisor (hi, Barack!) recommend and use B&H, and I probably would have followed suit, but I ordered something from Amazon that was filled by Adorama, and found them to be wonderful. Now I order directly from Adorama after that first experience. They've sent me coupons for $5 or $10 off orders as well, which makes their prices even better. Shop there. Seriously, I recommend them more than any other vendor I can think of. I tried another vendor before falling for Adorama and waited almost a week for the item to even ship. And like B&H, this is owned by an Orthodox Jewish family, person, or company, and they shut down business operations on Friday afternoons and don't open again until after sundown on Saturday (as does B&H). Neither company will even take an online order during the Sabbath. Even though that can be inconvenient if I decide I must have a lens at 3:00 a.m. on a Saturday morning, I totally respect their business practice and even admire it, as it seems to show integrity, thought I'm not much of a fan of orthodoxy due women's roles in it, but that is a whole 'nother story!
Local Developing: I use Jones Photo, though reluctantly, as I find their upload system overly time consuming and complicated. I mean, if Walgreen's can manage to make it easy for the same process, why can't they? They print from the same files. Not to mention that the only employee I've met at one location (and that I seem to see every time) is horribly rude, every time. And nowhere on the Web site or email receipt does it tell you -- even an approximation -- of when your prints will be ready (two hours? two days? two weeks?) and upon my inquiry, the answer is "well call you when they're ready." Seriously? And my last order was missing a photo even though it was on the upload list by the file name and the order had 34 prints uploaded, 34 ordered but only 33 in the envelope that I received. And I requested a price sheet with a description of services (they list tons of different variables for photo styles on their site with no explanation), I was told that they could tell me about them but didn't have any literature or flyers or printed information about them. Odd. If anyone knows of a place that truly has high quality to have photos printed, tell me and I will gladly go someplace else. And I don't mean Walgreen's or Costco, 'kay? I need to find somewhere online and just get them in the mail, I think, because while I love the quality of Jones Photo, sadly, I don't like much else so far. ;-/
Printer: The color inkjet printer I have came free with the MacBook Pro. It's an HP F4400 and it's really cheap, but who knows, it could be okay, but I don't know because I haven't hooked it up yet. We also have a black and white HP (1320? 1100? I don't feel like going to look) laser printer that we use for most things, and I don't print out photos at home, so I haven't had the need to print things on it yet. I'll get back to you on it!
AND THAT'S IT! (for today, *cough, cough*)
I am having a great time with this hobby and I'm learning so much. Again, I am very much a beginner, but I am learning and wanting to learn, so please send any comments to me at AnUnexpectantMother@gmail.com. Take care and have fun!
Edited to add: I finished my Digital Photography class this week and also started my next class -- Adobe Photoshop for RAW photography. I was going to do an explanation of RAW photography, but there are plenty of sites out there for this, that say it better than I could. Google it if you're interested. But the bottom line is that I am moving out of shooting in JPEG format, which is a lossy format, to shooting in RAW, which is lossless. Did you know that when you shoot in JPEG format, it throws out half of the information that your camera's sensor receives and that every time you open and close a JPEG file, it continues to throw out information and breaks down? Neither did I. But now that I know, I will be shooting in RAW and processing the images myself, after I learn how in this class.
Edited to add: I finished my Digital Photography class this week and also started my next class -- Adobe Photoshop for RAW photography. I was going to do an explanation of RAW photography, but there are plenty of sites out there for this, that say it better than I could. Google it if you're interested. But the bottom line is that I am moving out of shooting in JPEG format, which is a lossy format, to shooting in RAW, which is lossless. Did you know that when you shoot in JPEG format, it throws out half of the information that your camera's sensor receives and that every time you open and close a JPEG file, it continues to throw out information and breaks down? Neither did I. But now that I know, I will be shooting in RAW and processing the images myself, after I learn how in this class.














































No comments:
Post a Comment